The idea of a local community cooperative started in 2006 through an initiative by a professor of environmental studies at the local college. The co-op has been nurtured and sustained by dedicated volunteers over the last 10 years. We started off as just a desire and many community members contributed hours developing the concept and gaining support from the local community. Then we opened a small store front in the old Chamber of Commerce building on Paseo de Onate for a short while offering Loco boxes to our members. Then in 2012 we opened our doors on 312 Paseo de Onate (Main Street) across from Rivera’s Funeral Home and have been open three times a week for the last several years.
September 2, 2017 marked our 5th year anniversary as a co-op with a storefront. We were pleased to open our doors to the local community, serve up an anniversary cake baked and donated by Chocolate Maven, popcorn and iced tea. We were serenaded by two guitar-playing students from NNMC, served samples of goat products from Camino de Paz and wonderful fresh bread from Cloud Cliff Bakery. Deb Barbee gave a cooking demonstration in the back of the store and made tasty salsa using vegetables from our store. Following the celebration we conducted our Annual Membership Meeting and welcomed two new board members to our board.
Why should you become a member and shop at the Co-op?
- We are locally owned.
- We support local farmers and businesses.
- We carry high quality foods with minimal processing and without artificial additives.
- We offer competitively-priced, natural and organically grown foods.
- Because we offer bulk foods you can buy just what you need or larger amounts for bigger savings
- We are a consumer-owned business, not a large multi-national corporation. Co-op shoppers know that their food dollars STAY in our community.
- Accepts cash, checks, debit/credit cards, and EBT.