Espanola Community Market – Please submit your application no later than January 26, 2016
Thank you for your interest in the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors is the legal representative of the member/owners and, as such, is responsible for the overall well being of Espanola Community Market. Please read the following information about the co-op and the board.
What Is The Board’s Role?
The Board currently exercises its authority through its relationship with the store manager and the generous volunteer force that maintains the stock, manages sales and keeps the store operating. The board is engaged in some operational details of the store. As we grow and hire full-time staff the role will transition to one of policy and governance only.
About Espanola Community Market
Espanola Community Market is a New Mexico co-operative association with a store in Espanola serving Espanola and the surrounding communities. The store is open 18 hours a week and current monthly sales are between $6,000-$8,000. Membership is currently at 450+, with 60 of those members being lifetime and founding members.
What the Board Did Last Year
This year Espanola Community Market added an additional day to our schedule and is now open on Mondays from 3:00-7:00pm. Jennie Chamblee has served tirelessly this year as our store manager. Thank you, Jennie! We have also increased the number of new members to our co-op through the efforts of our Membership Committee and weekly cashiers. Other achievements include the purchase of a new cooler, sponsoring of a mini co-op at the Presbyterian Hospital every Wednesday this summer from 11:00 to 2:00 pm and the purchase of feather flags which now wave outside the store.
• Constructive and creative leadership skills to contribute sound reasoning and judgment to the Board governance process.
• Desire to develop visionary ideas through study, advisement and discussion. This includes an ability to work within a group setting: to speak up, listen well and be receptive to differing views.
• Interest in board process and agreement to work within board’s chosen framework, including development and refinement of new and existing policies.
• Connection to Member/Owners through volunteer work.
• An interest to steer the co-op beyond a narrow demographics.
• An interest in the whole organization.
• Willingness to publicly stand behind Board decisions regardless of personal positions.
• Have been a member of the co-op since September 30, 2015
• Commitment to the cooperative model
• 21 years of age
• Not a convicted felon
Submit a brief personal statement and responses to the attached list of questions. The personal statement plus the responses to the questions must not total more than 500 words (include your name, address, membership number and phone number with your application.)
Please submit your application no later than January 26, 2016, to Espanola Community Market at 312 Paseo De Onate or email the completed application to email@example.com. Please enter the words “Board Application” in the subject line of the emailed application or on the envelope of your mailed application. Candidates are encouraged to attend the Co-op’s Annual Membership Meeting on Saturday, January 30, 2016, where they will be given time to address the co-op members.
The nomination forms with candidate profiles will de distributed at the annual meeting and a ballot box will be set up at the location for voting. All ballots must be submitted by February 14, 2016.
Please visit this link to access the ECM By-Laws.